When you look around your garage and yard, you’ll see many obvious and not-so-obvious dangers to your puppy. Paint, cleaners, insecticides, rat and rodent poison, snail poison, fertilizers, antifreeze, and gasoline represent a handful of toxins and chemicals that you may have in your garage or outdoor shed. Antifreeze, for example, has a sweet taste that attracts animals, but it can be deadly if ingested, even in small amounts. Secure all bottles, boxes, and containers of these substances inside a locked cabinet, or store them on high shelves that your pup can’t reach. Your best course of action may be to make sure your pup is never allowed in the garage.
Store tools and power equipment in a cabinet or shelf that the puppy cannot reach. These items can be a temptation for chewing and ruining their effectiveness.
Some plants, such as daffodils, foxglove, bird-of-paradise, and lupine, can be poisonous to your dog and cause varied reactions, ranging from a rash to vomiting and diarrhea. You can find a list of the most commonly encountered toxic plants at the ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center website.