National Dog Photography Day is a great holiday to celebrate. We, as fur parents, love taking photos of our fur babies, so it only makes sense to celebrate.
Learn when this holiday started, how you can become a pro at taking photos of your dogs, and why it’s important to celebrate this holiday.
When is National Dog Photography Day?
National Dog Photography Day is celebrated on June 26th each year.
The beautiful day encourages dog owners to pick up their cameras and take as many pictures as they like of their fur babies without feeling bad about overloading their social media accounts with images of their fur babies.
You can post as many photos of your fur babies any day, but this special holiday makes it even more fun and exciting.
What is National Dog Photography Day?
National Dog Photography Day was first established in 2018 when pet photographer Kerry Jordan of Fur and Fables created the holiday.
Jordan’s journey into photography is a motivating example of how one tiny action can result in a significant life change.
Jordan, who began her work as a wedding photographer, immediately established a reputation for herself and was even nominated for regional awards.
She quickly came to the realization that she preferred to take a different route, one that would help her connect with her clients more directly.
Jordan had a chance encounter with a whippet named Scout during her transition into family photography, and this event would ultimately change the direction of her professional life.
Scout’s joyful nature and unique characteristics drew her in right away, and the dream of photographing dogs began to take shape.
Jordan became more and more passionate about capturing the character of these furry friends with each dog that she photographed.
Others started to notice her work when she posted it online and started approaching her with requests to snap pictures of their dogs.
This provided Jordan with the chance to carve out a market niche for herself and expand her company, focusing on dog photography.
Soon after that, National Dog Photography Day was born.
Why is National Dog Photography Day Important?
National Dog Photography Day is important because it celebrates the beauty and diversity of dogs and highlights the importance of capturing their unique personalities through photography.
Through the lens of a camera, we can immortalize the funny, quirky, and adorable moments that make our furry friends so special.
Each dog has a unique personality that sets them apart from the others. It is this personality that makes dogs so lovable.
Dogs come in many forms, sizes, and personalities, from energetic pups to stately seniors. This diversity is what makes them ideal subjects for photography.
As a society, we have a deep love and appreciation for our canine companions.
National Dog Photography Day provides a perfect opportunity to showcase this affection, and raise awareness about the importance of responsible pet ownership
Through sharing photos of our dogs on National Dog Photography Day, we can also inspire others to consider adopting a dog, support local animal shelters, and encourage people to treat their pets with love and respect.
Learn more about how dogs show love.
How to Celebrate National Dog Photography Day
To celebrate National Dog Photography Day, you can take photos of your dog, hire a professional photographer, share many photos of your dogs online, and promote responsible pet ownership.
How to Take Photos of Your Dog Using Your Smartphone
Taking great photos of your dog is a fun and rewarding way to capture special moments and memories.
With today’s smartphones, you don’t need a fancy camera to take amazing photos of your furry friend. Here are some tips on how to take photos of your dog using your smartphone:
- Get on Their Level: Try to get down to your dog’s level to capture a more candid and interesting photo. This means kneeling or even lying on the ground to capture their perspective.
- Use Natural Lighting: Natural lighting is ideal for dog portrait photography. Try to find a well-lit area or shoot outside in the early or late hours of the day when the light is more subtle.
- Use Burst Mode: Since dogs are unpredictable and active, using burst mode on your smartphone will help you catch the ideal moment. To capture a series of pictures, hold down the shutter button. Then, pick your preferred photo.
- Use “Live” Mode: You can also use the “Live” photo feature on your smartphone to capture your dogs in motion.
- Keep it Simple: Sometimes the simplest dog pictures are the best. Keep the background simple, and focus on their face and expression.
- Capture Their Personality: Try to capture the distinct personality and quirks of your dog in your photos. These small elements, such as a silly smile or a sly face, will make your photographs even more memorable.
- Use Treats and Toys: Use your dog’s favorite treat or toy to get their attention and keep them engaged during your photoshoot. This can help you capture more natural and animated photos of your furry friend.
- Use Editing Apps: When you’ve shot your pictures, edit and share them by using the features on your smartphone to improve the colors and clarity.
Fun Photoshoot Ideas for Your Dog
A fantastic approach to give your photos some personality is to dress up your dog in cute and trendy outfits.
You can dress your dog according to their personality or a particular theme, like a holiday or sports team.
Experiment with Props
Props can give your photographs a colorful and enjoyable feel.
To add some flair to your images, think about incorporating toys, hats, sunglasses, or other amusing accessories.
Involve the Whole Family
Having the entire family participate in your photo session is a wonderful way to make lasting memories.
Even extra family members or pets can be included for a fun and original group picture.
Strike a Pose
Experimenting with different stances and facial expressions will make your images more entertaining and unique.
Try to get pictures of your dog in action, such as running, jumping, or assuming various poses. You can also take videos and just grab captures of specific frames.
Choose a Beautiful Location
Using a picture-perfect location, such a park or a beach, will enhance the beauty of nature in your pictures.
Also, this can offer your dog more space to run about and play, resulting in more candid and playful pictures.
Add Favorite Treats and Toys
Giving your dog their favorite goodies or toys will keep them interested and attentive throughout the photo shoot.
It can lead to some amusing and entertaining moments that you can photograph.
How to Share and Enjoy Your Dog’s Photos
Share it on Social Media
The easiest, and most convenient way to share your dog’s photos is by sharing them on social media. Use the hashtag #NationalDogPhotographyDay to join the movement.
Create a Photobook
Photobooks are similar to photo albums, but they’re more customized and stylized. You can create a whole photobook of your pet’s photos.
Put it in a Canvas
You can also have your dog photos printed on a canvas so you can have it displayed anywhere in your home. This also makes a great gift to family and friends.
Create a Video
A fun and inventive approach to show off your affection for dogs is to make a video or a short reel of your dog images.
There are a few things you can do to make your video more engaging and entertaining.
- Choose the right music: Choose music that complements your video’s tone and the character of your dog. If your dog is playful and active, for instance, you might pick a happy tune. You might select a chill-out song if your dog is more laid back.
- Add captions or narration: These help tell the tale of your dog and to make it more interesting. You can include amusing details, anecdotes, or even quotes that perfectly describe your dog’s character.
- Use a variety of shots: To keep your video interesting, use different shots of your dog. Close-ups of their face, pictures of them having fun or relaxing, or even pictures of them interacting with other animals or people are all great options.
- Consider editing apps and techniques: You can use a variety of editing techniques to make your video more lively and aesthetically pleasing. This may involve transitions, slow-motion images, or even the addition of filters or other effects.
The Impact of National Dog Photography Day
Have you noticed the surge in pet photography lately? It’s no surprise, given that our furry friends have become such a beloved part of our lives.
Pet photography has grown as a popular art form, capturing the unique personalities and characteristics of individual animals in stunning images that warm our hearts and bring us joy.
Part of the reason for this growth is the role that social media plays in our lives.
Thanks to platforms like Instagram and Facebook, pet owners like you and I can easily share photos of our beloved pets with a wider audience.
It’s a great way to connect with other pet lovers and appreciate the unique beauty of each animal.
Of course, technology has contributed to this rise as well. It’s simpler than ever to snap beautiful pictures of our pets due to the wide availability of high-quality cameras and editing tools.
And the results can be truly breathtaking.
But the true driving force behind the growth of pet photography is our love for our four-legged pets.
Since our pets have become such an important part of our lives, we want to immortalize their different personalities and traits in pictures that we can treasure forever.
Because of this, pet photography has become such a cherished and popular type of art.
National Dog Photography Day has influenced pet photography by bringing greater attention and exposure to the art form.
Resources for Dog Photography
There are a lot of resources available if you’re interested in learning how to capture beautiful pictures of your furry pals and improve your dog photography skills.
- The Ultimate Guide to Pet Photography by Expert Photography
- Dog Photography Facebook Group
- Dog Photography Tips by ShotKit
- The Pet Photographer’s Club
- Dogtography: A Knock-Your-Socks-Off Guide to Capturing the Best Dog Photos on Earth
Must-Follow Social Media Accounts for the Best Pet Photos
Alicja Zmysowska is an expert in capturing the charm and character of dogs.
She frequently captures dogs in beautiful outdoor situations for her striking and artistic photographs.
Zmyslowska Photography frequently shares heartwarming stories about the dogs she photographs.
Several of these stories center on rescued pets and the incredible changes they experience after finding their forever homes.
Natalie is a German-born photographer who specializes in capturing the beauty and character of cats and dogs.
Her images are exquisitely composed and often include pets in enchanting, otherworldly backgrounds.
The images taken by Purrpaws Fotografie are not only stunning but also motivational.
Natalie’s passion for animals is evident in her work, and her images may encourage people to recognize and admire the beauty of these magnificent creatures.
If you’re a fan of dog photography, you should definitely consider following @thedogist on Instagram.
This account is run by photographer and author Elias Weiss Friedman, who has been traveling the world since 2013 photographing dogs and sharing their stories.
This account is a curated collection of user-submitted photos and videos of dogs from around the world.
@dogsofinstagram is a goldmine of adorable dog photos and videos.
The account features dogs of all breeds, sizes, and ages, and there’s always something new and cute to discover.
This account is all about Popeye the foodie dog, who travels around Los Angeles with his owner trying out different restaurants and sampling their delicious dishes.
@popeyethefoodie is a one-of-a-kind account that combines two of our favorite things – dogs and food.
Each photo and video features Popeye sitting at a restaurant table, eagerly waiting for his owner to share some of their meal.
Tools and Equipment for Dog Photography
If you’re planning on purchasing some equipment to help you improve your dog photography skills, here are some items you might want to consider:
An adorable backdrop like this one can help create a more fun and beautiful setting for your pet photos.
Photography Lighting Kit
Give your pet photos a more professional feel with this photography lighting kit. You can easily set it up in your home, in your garage, or anywhere so you can take even more beautiful photos.
If you enjoy this holiday, we’re sure you’ll enjoy these other dog holidays you must celebrate this year.